Have You Tried Lemongrass Tea for Weight Loss? | Chai with a Difference!
Love the citrusy zing that lemongrass gives to the food? Wait, There’s more to the aromatic grass! Want to lose those extra pounds? Try lemongrass tea for weight loss!
Lemongrass has been wielding its magic in South East Asian, especially Thai and Vietnamese, cuisine for generations. It has been delighting foodies with its citrusy aroma and the distinct flavour it adds to the dishes. Lemongrass is now also used in tisanes (herbal teas) like lemongrass chai and is gaining popularity as an essential ingredient in cocktails and mocktails. It can be used in fresh, dried or powdered forms.
What is Lemongrass?
Lemongrass or ‘Cymbopogon citratus’ is a tall grass widely grown in tropical and sub-tropical regions of Asia, Australia and Africa.
An estimated 55 varieties of lemongrass exist, but only the East and West Indian and Sri Lankan varieties are suitable for cooking.
India is the highest producer of lemongrass, with an annual production of over 2 million pounds per year.
How does lemongrass add value to our lives?
Dishes and beverages made with lemongrass as a core ingredient are full of flavour and aroma and are many foodies dream come true across the globe.
The plant’s stalks are a staple ingredient in South East Asian cuisine and are now widely been brewed to make lemongrass chai. In fact, lemongrass tea powder is a favourite chai ingredient in many homes across the world.
The subtle flavours of the herb are pleasing and soothing at the same time and come with many health benefits as well.
From detoxification, calming the nerves, clarifying the skin, regulating blood pressure and digestion to weight loss, relieving bloating and boosting red blood cell levels, lemongrass has many health benefits as well.
In fact, more and more people are having lemongrass tea for weight loss as word of the plant’s medicinal powers are gaining ground.
People drink lemongrass tea for weight loss because as a detox tea, it boosts the metabolism.
Being a natural diuretic, if one has enough of the lemongrass chai, a loss of few kilos is likely.
However, do not go in for endless cups of the tea. Remember, too much anything is bad! Even love!
So, how does lemongrass chai help in weight loss?
Lemongrass tea is light yellow in colour and has a slightly lemony taste without the tanginess of lemons. It is mildly sweet with a distinct flavour and a powerhouse of health benefits, one of them being its role in helping one lose weight. Here’s how.
- Lemongrass tea is full of antioxidants that help in eliminating free radicals from the body.
- Lemongrass tea is extremely low on calories. One tablespoon of the lemongrass tea powder has only 5 calories and 1 gram of carbs.
- Having a cup of lemongrass chai before a meal gives the feeling of being full and helps one control the portion size, and, as a result, lose weight.
- Also, sipping on a cup of lemongrass tea over the day prevents one from mindless eating from sheer boredom.
- History says lemongrass has also been used as a diuretic. Drinking lemongrass tea helps in getting rid of excess water and wastes from the body by activating the metabolism.
Here’s a quick recipe of lemongrass tea
1 ½ teaspoon lemongrass tea powder
1/4th teaspoon honey or raw sugar (optional)
½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Boil 3 cups of water in a teapot
- Add the lemongrass tea powder
- Brew for 2-3 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Let it steep for 3-4 minutes.
- Strain the tea in cups and add lemon juice.
- Sweeten, if required.
Sip your cup of health at leisure while chatting with friends or reading a book.
By replacing sugar-laden and high-calorie drinks with lemongrass chai, one can cut back on calories and lose weight faster.
However, just drinking lemongrass tea won’t make you lose weight big time. Instead, add lemongrass tea to a healthy diet and workout plan and enjoy the results.
To a glowing, healthier and a leaner you!